Topic-Based Thoughts

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 06:51:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 12:41 +0000, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a few (more) thoughts/questions on the topic-based help.
>
>  * Currently, networking is contained in the Internet topic. I think
> that it's probably going to be a big enough subject to have its own
> topic, especially when considering wireless networking. Does anyone have
> any thoughts on this?
I tend to agree - I just tried to get wifi working in Feisty and it took
me quite a while to fine the relevant guide. I actually had to search
for 'wireless' to find it. 'Wifi' gave no results, which suggests that
the word wifi should be added to that guide somehow.

I understand what Matthew E. is saying about a hardware topic. I think
that as much as possible hardware and software should be separated. It
must be pretty rare that both need to be covered at once. At the same
time I have a general view that wherever possible the docs structure
should relate to the rest of gnome. In gnome if you want to fiddle with
networking hardware you go into 'System > Control Panel' and if you want
to play with internet/networking apps you go somewhere else. I think the
docs should reflect this.

As it stands I have been 're'organising a bit of the wiki so that the
link to applications guides users to both hardware and software issues -
hey, there's no harm in linking to the same thing from several places.

Can't we do something similar in the docs?

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk