book content in dapper

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon May 8 08:46:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 16:35 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> On 5/8/06, Jane Silber <jane.silber at canonical.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure where/how it is best to include this material.  It should
> > be some place relatively discoverable (in a menu? in ExampleContent?
> > both?)  Matt Zimmerman has asked if you all can suggest a way to do this
> > and include a placeholder now so that we can drop in the final content
> > as soon as we get it.
>
> I would suggest to have it linked from both the firefox startpage (on
> the upper right corner as link box or something that yells "this are
> some chapters from the official book") and Yelp frontpage itself,
> although the Yelp frontpage is already crowded. From  Kubuntu, I don't
> see this as an issue in KHelpCenter since it can be easily created as
> a node and the document tree is always visible.

The difficulty with including this content in the ordinary way (in Yelp)
is that it really comprehensively overlaps with material that already
exists. We're going to cause a lot of confusion if we include this
material in that way because:

 (a) we have done a lot of work to try and promote the desktop and
server guides in the yelp table of contents and ensure that the user is
not confused by all the overlaps that already exist between our
documentation and the Gnome documentation.
 (b) the existing documentation is translated, whereas this wouldn't be.

The same problems arise with linking it from the firefox home page, and
including it in the System/Help menu. I think that the same problems
also arise for Kubuntu.

(By the way, and of course speaking merely personally, it is quite
discouraging to have put in loads of work on the Desktop Guide (not to
mention trying to ensure that our guides don't overlap, and that
everything is translated) over this release and then find that
untranslated material written outside the group with basically the same
scope is going to be included as well).

I suppose that including it in example-content would be an option. The
best option from my point of view would be to not include it at all, and
ensure that the material can be integrated with our existing guides for
Edgy. That way, it will get translated, we can eliminate the overlaps,
and the documentation team doesn't get a kick in the teeth.

my 2 cents.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com