switching to en as the default locale

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 06:07:46 UTC 2006

Hi all

As per the docteam meeting last friday, I have started testing for an
eventual switch from the "C" locale to the "en" locale as the default
locale for ubuntu docs.

I have made a test version of  "en" locale for only the desktopguide.
I didn't get the time this weekend to learn doc packaging, so I can't
test to see if it works for that. The guide builds fine though, as far
as I can tell. Type "make dg-en" to try it out.

Can someone do a package for the desktopguide in the en locale? I
would like to know if there are any other changes that need to be made
in order for it to work. If all goes well, then we can move all docs
at once.

I noticed that many of the kubuntu docs have a C locale. The C locale
is strictly a GNOME thing; KDE does not use the C as a default locale.
(I suspect that the GNOME docteam originally used C for their docs
because the GNOME devels use C as a default for programs. The
convention sort of carried over to the docs, and from there to Ubuntu
GNOME docs, and then from there to Kubuntu KDE docs)  Strictly
speaking, there is no need for C in the KDE docs; if anything, it
should be en.

Cheers,
Jeff