Publishing good wiki docs in the distribution

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 24 09:08:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 18:58 -0500, Matt Galvin wrote:
> > > What about shiping a static version with that having a link to the wiki version,
> > > saying the wiki version is constatntly updated version reflecting any changes in
> > >  software versions etc.
> > On 1/23/06, Jerome Gotangco <jgotangco at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes that would work but the wiki page will  become "Errata" material
> > as well (unless stated otherwise); erroneous entries in the frozen doc
> > get changed to the wiki instantly.
>
> hmm... well wouldn't the updates get pushed down into the distro as an
> update anyway so it would not really have to act as errata (although
> we could still have WikiPage/Errata as a reference point)?
>
> ubuntu-doc 5.10-x.x updates happen now... the wiki updates/fixes would
> be applied (after going through whatever processes we use to get from
> wiki page to a local distro doc) to the distro via an update.
>
> These updates can (and do from what I have seen) happen regularly.

There hasn't been an update yet ;) It should be hitting breezy soon.

But we cannot use these updates to fix strings in documents, permission
is granted only rarely and it will normally be granted to add
translations and fix large bugs.

Having thought about this a bit, I really don't see the problem with
having a document frozen in the distribution, and in development on the
wiki. As George suggested, this can be documented in itself, and the
nature of the wiki is precisely that things are in continual flux. I
don't see a problem in itself with making the distinction. Indeed I
think it is an advantage that wiki docs might only go into the
distribution once every release cycle.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com