Publishing good wiki docs in the distribution

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 23 15:50:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 16:37 +0100, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> Having those docs would be nice but by doing that, you'll have to
>
> a) Freeze that wiki page at some point in time. You wouldn't want
> people looking at your document in the distro then refer to the wiki
> page of the same topic but finds out that the wiki page gives out
> different intructions.

Ok this is the thing that needs to be handled carefully I think. I'm not
sure that wiki-freezing is necessary: it depends upon whether it is made
clear that the wiki is community maintained docs which are liable to
change, and that the version in the distribution is a "frozen" version.

This is the sort of question that keeps coming up about our
documentation, in things like the BetterWikiDocs spec and elsewhere. The
essential question is really difficult I think: how do we handle the
wiki in the context of stable/in development documentation? Suggestions
on this have involved "two wikis", but I still don't think that we have
got close to working out how to do this effectively.

I'm not sure whether we have to resolve this question before wiki docs
can appear in the distribution though.

> b) Clean up the xml generated by the wiki tool so it can be properly
> read by Yelp.
>
> c) Create scrollkeeper entries to register and show the new docs and
> probably even add a new category in sk itself.
>
> This is actually not complicated but can take some time.

(b) will take some time, because Moin really doesn't have nice output :(

(c) is basically trivial, if we decide where these sorts of docs should
actually go in the Yelp structure.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com