where the wiki and help do not meet

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 23 08:12:32 UTC 2006

Paul O'Malley <ompaul <at> eircom.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> A few hours ago while ago, I tried to make a point in IRC. It was a
> complete and utter failure, I did not manage to archive this lofty goal,
> so here I attempt it again without the aid of a safety net. (crowd gasps)
>
> What I would like to see is a link to help.ubuntu.com from
> wiki.wbuntu.com on every page, and I would like the same on help.
> (A job for CSS)
>
> My argument for taking this route is simple, be it help or wiki it is
> all part of  *.ubuntu.com thus pointing from one part to another (wiki
> to help) is just giving a user a "local" resource they may find useful.
> As to what is official or what is unofficial this is missing the point,
> it just does not come into it. This is a wrong argument, by starting
> there you develop limits on what can and cannot be done, this is about
> having the best most flexible documentation.

I quite agree. We've aimed at unifying the documentation in a slightly more
drastic way: by moving them both to the same place. Have a look at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BetterWikiDocs

I think that this spec has the same objectives as those in your post: raising
the profile of the documentation and eliminating the official/unofficial barrier.

Matt