Ubuntuguide.org translations

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Wed May 18 13:34:17 UTC 2005

> The problem would essentially involve how to make a .pot file from the
> existing .html. This may be possible using the gettext utility, see
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/. If you are interested I can
> try and play around and see how it goes. Maybe we can talk on irc one of
> these days, I'll ping you when I'm at home and have time (I'm at college
> right now).

Have had a cursory glance around the internet
(http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/html2pot-po2html/index.html): looks
easy to do. Seems like the important thing is to have an XHTML compliant
webpage. I've checked and ubuntuguide seems to comply already :D We might
have to cut the css out too (not sure). If that were to be done, it should
be fairly easy to convert it to a .pot file ready for translation :) At the
very least, this will help the people translating the guide right now, and
maybe it would even allow us to get the guide into Rosetta.

Once translated we can also work on a similar process to convert the doc
back to html. If all goes well, this should also be easy.

Maybe some of the people translating have already made a .pot file? In any
case, i might play around with it this evening.

Matt