Ubuntuguide.org translations

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Wed May 18 13:07:26 UTC 2005

taking this back onto the list (hope this is ok)

Chua Wen Kiat writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm the maintainer of UbuntuGuide. I think I need to understand more
> bout the xml and Rosetta thingi.
> If it's not difficult to install/make would use if for the upcoming
> Breezy Guide.
>
> Idea is to keep the Guide in a single page and be made online.
>
> Regards,
> Chua Wen Kiat
> http://ubuntuguide.org

Hi there,

btw I am mdke in freenode, we've met a couple of times in the #ubuntu-doc
channel. Basically, in order to use Rosetta, we could try and port the html
file to a .pot file, which is the file format which translators use. Then
the .pot file could be uploaded into Rosetta, and translators can work on
translating it one sentence at a time. Its a very good interface, check it
out at http://launchpad.ubuntu.com/Rosetta

The problem would essentially involve how to make a .pot file from the
existing .html. This may be possible using the gettext utility, see
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/. If you are interested I can try
and play around and see how it goes. Maybe we can talk on irc one of these
days, I'll ping you when I'm at home and have time (I'm at college right
now).