Xhosa translation and documentation freeze

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Wed Mar 2 05:03:06 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 15:21, Adi Attar wrote:
> I am responsible for producing the Xhosa translation for Ubuntu (Xhosa is
> one of South Africa's many official languages). We are aiming for a
> complete desktop translation of Hoary, which is a rather lofty goal. I
> think it's really important for at least some of the documentation to be
> translated. The original intention was to translate the quick guide (which
> at the time was to be approximately 6000 words).

Great to hear this. How's about isiZulu and Venda ;-) Hell why not all 11
official languages. Just kidding.

> I have a few questions (please forgive me for not paying closer attention
> to this list - I have attempted to follow it):
> - Is the quick guide still around this size?

No idea. :-)

> - Would people still recommend this as the piece of documentation to
> translate (assuming we had to pick one - our resources are tight)?

Absolutely!!! It is a simple and easy to translate document that gives a great
whirlwind tour of the desktop.

> - When is the official documentation freeze? (I heard rumours about the
> 21st of February but I don't think this happened.)

Yeah we hear rumours about it too. The rumours continue.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author
sean at inwords.co.za