get the facts: Ship XML or HTML? That is the question.

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Sun Jun 19 22:46:33 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I'm replying to this because I have had long discussions with Sean about
this matter. My position is essentially similar to that of Henrik: I also
happen to be very attracted to the idea of shipping html, and making our
documentation xml compliant, however I also have been upset by the way that
this question has been handled from a community point of view.

The point is Sean, that the matter was not properly discussed, and you went
ahead and implemented it in your work by writing profiled documents, and so
on. I understand your point that you were the greatest, maybe at times even
the only contributor to the project, but if we wish to construct a team
here, which has good spirit and is going to attract lots of contributors, we
need a system in which no individual is greater than the team, and the team
decides on the process and work methodology. The main reason that I have
been upset by this business is that I have got the impression that you
intend to direct the team to where you want it to go rather than listening
to the team and fostering a community spirit. Implementing a change, then
saying "I'm leaving if this is not adopted" does not help the team to grow
in the right direction.

I believe strongly that the things we discussed at the last documentation
team meeting will help to create a great working methodology for the team,
especially by "official team status", "regular team meetings", "team
secretary", "project leaders reporting to the group" etc. I think that this
will help attract more people to the project, and I really hope that you
will continue to work within this framework, because your technical
expertise is an asset to the team. However, in my opinion, we must work as a
team to succeed. This is the greatest lesson that I've learn from my
involvement so far in Ubuntu (on -doc and -it): no individual is bigger than
the team.

Moving on to the separate question of the Technical Board, like Henrik I
also believe strongly that where possible, once the team meets and discusses
a particular issue, it should report changes in its methodology to the
Technical Board, primarily because we need to foster a spirit of interaction
and collaboration between the various aspects of the Ubuntu community. I see
no need to attempt to exclude the docteam from the Ubuntu community.

Your objections to the Technical Board seem to be based around the fact that
you do not trust them to accept your view. I would say a few things about
that. First, I believe that the technical expertise of the person making a
proposal to the Technical Board will be taken into account in the
discussion. Secondly, if the system fails you, the correct approach is to
voice concern about the system, rather than go it alone. There is plenty of
scope for such concern to be voiced in the Ubuntu community.

If you are not happy that concern you raised is listened to, you have to
make your own decisions about whether to accept decisions taken or leave the
community. But to be frank: in my opinion, in order to work in Ubuntu it is
necessary to work within the community, which means following rules.

Matt