KUDOS Unofficial Kubuntu FAQ

Abdullah Ramazanoglu ar018 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 19:26:20 UTC 2005

Sean Wheller dedi ki:

> Hello Abdullah,
>
> You have done great work on the KUDOS Unofficial Kubuntu FAQ. This work
> has come to the attention of the K/Ubuntu Doc-team who would like
> permission to port the document to Docbook XML and store it in the
> official doc-team Subversion repository for everyone to colloborate on.
> In doing so we would also like to ask your permission to relicense the
> document under the terms of the doc-team license which is a dual license
> comprised of GFDL and CC-BY-SA.
>
> We would also like you to obtain a commit account to svn so that you may
> continue to collaborate on the documents development with the other team
> members.
>
> We look forward to working with you and await your decision.
>
> Many thanks,

Hello Sean,

Thank you for the encouragement, the offer, and your kindness in asking for
permission, where you didn't need to, as it's an open source document. Of
course you have all my consent to adopt it into doc-team.

As for the license, it's already GFDL[*] and dual copyrighted with Chua.
Since Chua has already given his permission for CC-BY-SA, it's also OK for
me.

Basically I'm a sysadmin/consultant, not a documentation person. What I got
in mind was (and is) covering the most urgent documentation needs for
Kubuntu, and then implementing parts of it as a suite of GUI helper
scripts, before Breezy. There are still some urgent topics need to be
covered in the faq before I can start on the scripts. So it would be a
relief for me if Kubuntu documentation is adopted and well maintained, so
that I can focus on the script work.

As for my further contribution as part of the doc-team, this is the most
difficult part for me. I can barely find time to update the kudos faq, so
I'm afraid I won't be able to find enough time to learn and contribute in
Doc-Book XML format.

Another concern for me is that I want to devote all my efforts for Kubuntu,
but Canonical devote their resources for Ubuntu. I'm not sure whether it
might lead to priority incompatibilities in the future, between me and the
doc-team.

So, for a while, I would like to go in dual-fork fashion, collecting the
spread-over documentation and distilling them for Kubuntu. I plan to start
releasing change logs so you can, in turn, easily collect additions from
my version.

Concluding, you are free to do anything with the kudos faq, but depending
on several factors, I guess I'd abstain for the time being. Thank you very
much for the offer all the same. In the future I may learn Doc-Book XML,
abandon my own version and start contributing to doc-team, or I may
completely abandon documentation work and devote all my spare time for the
GUI scripts. I don't know as of now.

[*] I had changed the original GPL of Ubuntu Guide to GFDL, without asking
permission from Chua, supposing that GFDL is the documentation version of
GPL so it's the same, even more appropriate for a document. However I
might have been thinking wishfully, so its GFDL status is not very clear
in the first place.

Best regards,
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu