Packaging the FAQ Guide (was #ubuntu-doc report for 2004-01-06)

Alexander Poslavsky alexander.poslavsky at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 19:59:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:32:53 +0200, Sean Wheller <sean at inwords.co.za> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 January 2005 15:40, Alexander Poslavsky wrote:
> > Which would leave us with two solutions:
> > 1. Install yelp anyway (this would install a whole bunch of libs as
> > well, as well as scrollkeeper etc. This would give us one paltform to
> > work for.
>
> Not acceptable.

I tend to agree

> > 2. Make a seperate package for kde (kubuntu), in kde-helpfiles
> >     note: What does kde use for its helpfiles? not docbook/xml, how
> > can we convert our docs to what they use?
>
> HelpCenter.
>
> > 3. Make a seperate html package, this should be easy.
>
> Same as 2.

Creating html is a piece of cake, so that kind of solves the question imho

> > I vaguely remember some web-server or something for scrollkeeper
> >
> > Anyway, for starters I would like to get this to work for gnome. If we
> > could get a reasonably good documentation platform than others will
> > join. But we need a working platform, extesible, with linking between
> > the docs etc.
>
> Which brings me back to the question, why have separate OMF files. If we have
> linking between docs it means that each document is dependant on the other.
> So I think we should have a single OMF with multiple resources, each
> resources has its own seriesid.

You lost me there old boy,  me being a simple farmer and all...

So in short: two packages, one for gnome and one for kde would solve
this nicely and they can both be build from the same source, so we
just need to add a --build kde to the makefile and we would be set.

bye, AP