[doc] Dedicated documentation meeting, sign up now ! :)

Alexander Poslavsky alexander.poslavsky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:48:40 UTC 2004

hi guys,

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:24:47 +0100, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> "We are growing fast, and as everybody must have witnessed some things
> are starting to get out of control."
>
> Just for the record I do not agree with this statement and also think
> it is a bit early in the day to elect a leader (the word itself sends
> shivers up by spine).    It is interesting that 'Electing a Leader' is
> the first thing on the agenda and the discussions so far on the list
> shows we are far from unanimous in feeling we need one.
>
> Do people really feel they need someone in charge to tell them what to do?
>
> It would be good to have someone take on a coordination role and
> liaison is also valuable but I guess the heretical nature of our
> society makes people always want someone in charge.

maybe it is all just semantics we are fighting about or maybe i am
thinking about something completely different you are, anyway, my take
on the leader-thing:
somebody who:
1. Coordinates, focusses what we do next as a *team*
    helps us to finish up things within dead-lines (docbook-stuff, yelp)
2. We complain to him about the moin search-engine being broken
   He complains upstream, more likely stuff will be fixed then
3. Guides discussions and informs all of group-decisions

He does not:
1. Tell us what to do.
2. Make group-decisions
3. Behave like a boss.

Any team needs somebody to do these tasks, only small groups that
constantly communicate can work without. We are all here for the fun
and do not want another boss, we all have one (or more) in real life.
But organisation is good.

About things going out of control, a wiki is never *in* control, but
some more structure would be good.

but so far i think things work great, AP