Plan of action for the docteam

Christoph Haas email at christoph-haas.de
Sat Nov 13 22:03:40 UTC 2004

Hi, Alexander...

thanks for your thoughts.

> In my opinion we should the following (please comment!)
>
> 1. The Faq has been turned into docbook, somebody should wrap it up.

I'll look into it closer this weekend. But perhaps we should just upload
the FAQ in XHTML form to the web site. Improvements can be done any
time. Perhaps we just upload the current version every weekend.

> 2. Somebody should proofread and check the faq after 1.

Whoever has a little spare time: please check out the current revision
using...

 svn co http://ubuntu.workaround.org:8080/faq

...and run "make". This should create a file called "faq.html".
Alternatively you may just run "yelp faq.xml".

> 3. the Howto's need to be cleaned up.

Indeed. A lot of information is incomplete.

> 4. We need an index-pages for different parts of the wiki (we need
> dtml turned on in the wiki, enrico will need to start bugging upstream
> for this).

:)

> 5. We need good newbie-documentation, we have some like:
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocumentHowto and
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocBook We need it to make clear to
> newcomers *what* they can do and *how* they can do it.

Sivan Green said he is working on a to do list this weekend. We really
need a table listing who is currently doing what. And a welcome page for
new entries would be very important. Especially translators need clearer
instructions.

> 6. What documents are *really* important? We need a page of these,
> these should be translated.

How will we handle translated Wiki pages btw? Just Use HowToItalian
instead of HowTo? I wish there were a way that the wiki could detect the
browser's preferred language like many other large sites do that. Any
Wiki experts around?

Another word on translations: I would really love to see the new FAQ
being translated. Volunteers could check out the faq.xml and translate
it into faq-${LANG}.xml (faq-de.xml, faq-it.xml, ...). The faq.xml
should be the master document. Every once in a while the translators
should check out the 'diff's to the last time they translated the
document and add the translated parts.

Enrico: you are our Subversion God. What is the easiest way? Could you write
up something on a Wiki page? How can we ensure the docs are in sync?

> 7. Gnome-documentation, how much work is it to up-date?

I assume we already agreed to ship the FAQ in XML format for Yelp with
the Hoary release. Okay?

> These task should be assigned and with a dead-line be finished,
> otherwise we will not be finished in time.

Is the conference really an important date for the work? ASAP would be
fine of course. :)

Cheers
 Christoph
--