Licencing of Documentation

George Deka george.deka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:53:31 UTC 2004

Lu,

Here is the debian analysis of GFDL, which covers the invariant
sections. The other issues they have with it are nothing too
big/special in my eyes. (Some may just need rewording)
http://people.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml

Licence: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html#TOC1
Section 1 - Defenitions
Section 4 - G,L,N

Because simply if a document has an invariant section it cannot be translated.
So as far as I am concerned we should rip out invariant sections
completly from the license.

George

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:24:07 +0000, Louise McCance-Price
<lu at canonical.com> wrote:

> George Deka wrote:
>
> >Lu,
> >That works for me.
> >
> >But i do think having a standard would be good, so the GFDL in Mark's
> >opinion  meets the ubuntu licence policy.
> >
> >Question: What if we had a modified GFDL without the invariant
> >sections ? maybe call it the UFDL ?
> >

> sounds like a good suggestion
> can you direct me to the exact invariant sections you are concerned about?
>
> thanks George
> Lu
>

> >George
> >

> >On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:49:23 +0000, Louise McCance-Price
> ><lu at canonical.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi guys
> >>
> >>Sorry - I didn't catch you, George, before you turned in.
> >>
> >>There has been much discussion and I think this will work for everyone.
> >>
> >>Mark is keen for it to be GFDL, but this will not be forced.
> >>
> >>The creator of the document can choose what license they wish to use.
> >>Derived works will remain under the license of the originator.
> >>
> >>all best
> >>Lu

Firefox!</a>