Streamlining community interaction

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Nov 1 03:55:52 UTC 2004

In order for users to get the most out of the excellent Ubuntu community, it
would be great if we could provide a guide to the process.  The "Get Help"
how-to that I wrote is a starting point for the kind of material that I'm
talking about, but I think it needs improvement, in scope, content and
placement.

Ideally, users who want to interact with the community should be presented
with something like this first, so that they find the right resources
quickly, and don't create unnecessary noise in the wrong places.

For example, the developer workload in Bugzilla is increasing.  As Ubuntu
grows in popularity, more users are filing bug reports.  However, many of
them are actually not bug reports, but other kinds of issues which should
have been raised elsewhere.  In my experience, some of the most commonly
misdirected issues are:

 - Support requests which end up in Bugzilla

 - Feature and policy discussions which end up in Bugzilla

 - Development ideas which end up on ubuntu-users

What do you folks think is the best way to document how these processes are
supposed to work, and ensure that the people who need to know find this
information first?

--
 - mdz