Quilt artefacts in source package branches (was Re: Upstream in Launchpad adds confusion)

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Fri Nov 5 10:38:01 GMT 2010

On 04/11/10 18:25, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> So, I made a patch against ubuntu:python-distutils-extra and submitted a merge
> proposal.
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~barry/ubuntu/natty/python-distutils-extra/670188-ftbfs/+merge/39993
>
> A few interesting things happened.  As part of my branch, I removed the .pc
> directory from bzr.  IIUC, that quilt3 artifact should not have been under
> version control.  Still, that does distract from the important part of my
> change.

It's presence under VC is part of the de facto standard set by the UDD
importer based on the behaviour of dpkg.

I'll grant that its presence is a bit ugly, and awkward to maintain
correctly.

Either people should not remove it (and furthermore keep it up to date)
or the UDD importer ought to not place it in the branches in the first
place.

Max.