git-ubuntu build

Paride Legovini paride at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 14 13:29:11 UTC 2023

Steve Langasek wrote on 13/06/2023:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 09:37:56PM +0200, Adrien Nader wrote:
>
>> I think Steve has an SSH config which defines the "lp" host. What you'>
>
> This is the following in my ~/.gitconfig:
>
> [url "git+ssh://vorlon@git.launchpad.net/"]
>         insteadof = lp:
>
> This configuration is described here:
>
>   https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git
>
> We should probably make sure it gets into some Ubuntu documentation and not
> just Launchpad documentation.

The drawback of this config is that with newer versions of Breezy it
gets in the way of Bazaar operations. The relevant change may be [1], in
Ubuntu since Lunar IIRC.

What happens is that Breezy finds the lp: shorthand and resolves it to a
Git URL, then fails if we were actually pointing it to a Bazaar repo.

For example this fails on my Mantic system if I use lp: for Git:

  bzr branch lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/meta-release/ubuntu

I now use lpad: as a shorthand for Launchpad Git repos:

[url "ssh://paride@git.launchpad.net/"]
	insteadOf = lpad:

Paride

[1] https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~brz/brz/trunk/revision/7576