breezy behavior wrt lp: [Was Re: git-ubuntu build]

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 14 15:54:23 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 03:29:11PM +0200, Paride Legovini wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote on 13/06/2023:

> > This is the following in my ~/.gitconfig:

> > [url "git+ssh://vorlon@git.launchpad.net/"]
> >         insteadof = lp:

> > This configuration is described here:

> >   https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git

> > We should probably make sure it gets into some Ubuntu documentation and not
> > just Launchpad documentation.

> The drawback of this config is that with newer versions of Breezy it
> gets in the way of Bazaar operations. The relevant change may be [1], in
> Ubuntu since Lunar IIRC.

> What happens is that Breezy finds the lp: shorthand and resolves it to a
> Git URL, then fails if we were actually pointing it to a Bazaar repo.

> For example this fails on my Mantic system if I use lp: for Git:

>   bzr branch lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/meta-release/ubuntu

> I now use lpad: as a shorthand for Launchpad Git repos:

> [url "ssh://paride@git.launchpad.net/"]
> 	insteadOf = lpad:

I had encountered this behavior, but hadn't realized it was on account of my
own git config!

For my part, I dug through the code and discovered that lp+bzr:
(undocumented AFAIK) works to force the use of bzr.  Since I do a lot more
git checkouts that bzr from Launchpad these days (a trend that is only
likely to continue), this is what I'm sticking with, reserving the shorter
shortcut for git.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/