git-ubuntu build

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 13 21:35:38 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 09:37:56PM +0200, Adrien Nader wrote:
> > $ git ubuntu
> > git: 'ubuntu' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

> > Next I try ` git clone lp:git-ubuntu` and get
> > ssh: Could not resolve hostname lp: Temporary failure in name resolution

> I think Steve has an SSH config which defines the "lp" host. What you'>

This is the following in my ~/.gitconfig:

[url "git+ssh://vorlon@git.launchpad.net/"]
        insteadof = lp:

This configuration is described here:

  https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git

We should probably make sure it gets into some Ubuntu documentation and not
just Launchpad documentation.

> I've quickly tried gu-build and I think it's young but probably has
> promises. I tried it on a trivial merge from Debian by (iirc) git ubuntu
> clone cdebconf, then git rebase pkg/debian/sid, and finally gu-build.
> It feels a bit too automagic, especially because a) it does so many
> steps that are typically described and done separately, and b) it pushes
> the changes. Together these two elements mean that the command you use
> to build and test also pushes the code but I usually like my mistakes to
> not be pushed before I review them. Except that... fewer steps to think
> about is exactly what's appealing to me with this.

I feel this aligns with Bryce's comments about this being more of a
'submission' workflow.  It is an important distinction that none of the
other 'build' tools I mentioned involve pushing to a public repo.  That's
otherwise only done by 'bzr push', 'git push', 'dgit push', 'dput'.

Would 'git ubuntu push' or 'git ubuntu submit' be a better name for this
than 'git ubuntu build'?

> I don't know if there exists steps in which the workflow can be split
> into and that make sense both for computers which run the automation,
> and humans who look at it. I hope such steps exist though.

> PS: one improvement for gu-build would be to print to stdout the various
> steps it goes through; a full, clean and pretty implementation is
> probably fairly difficult but a crude one that is ~60% enough would
> probably a matter of minutes.

Any objections to this being under a --verbose flag?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/