git-ubuntu build

Neal McBurnett nealmcb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 03:02:45 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 1:37 PM Adrien Nader <adrien at notk.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2023, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> > OK, I'm stuck. This sounds great, and just the sort of thing I want to do

You should use the snap and I think you need the one from edge in
> practice:
>
>   sudo snap install --edge git-ubuntu
>
> I'm going to comment on some of your other questions but the snap is the
> best way to install this.

Great answer, Adrien - that got me unstuck! Many thanks to all of you for
all of these things.
And sorry to not even have figured out on my own the simplest of issues
with the advice I got from a random LLM, to use a git: schema instead of
https:....

I've tried to make this info a bit easier to find by noting it as an
alternative at one of the popular AskUbuntu questions on getting source
code: https://askubuntu.com/a/1472081/6130. Please feel free to suggest
improvements, better references etc. E.g. some more clarity on the
relationship between the Ubuntu Maintainer's Handbook
<https://github.com/canonical/ubuntu-maintainers-handbook>.

and the Ubuntu Packaging Guide <https://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/> would
be helpful.

Finally, while playing with LangChain (a very popular framework for Large
Language Model development) and visiting their Discord, I also ran across
https://www.kapa.ai/ which provides a chat agent for LangChain
documentation in the Discord (#ask-kapa-langchain channel:
https://discord.com/channels/1038097195422978059/1072944049788555314). They
sound eager to get companies on board with their own kapa chat agents. In
fact I dare say there will surely be a variety of organizations trying to
make it easy to ask questions about developer documentation: And of course
who knows what their plans might be for monetizing that.... At any rate
it's a way to get a feel for how such things might work, and a possibility
for the short or long term....

Anyway - sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, and thanks for the context!

--
Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/