Log-rotation doesn't work for catalina.out in src:tomcat9 as intended

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon May 9 16:21:14 UTC 2022

On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 01:20:30AM +0530, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> a) This is Ubuntu-specific because of the changes introduced in
> src:rsyslog over a decade ago, which basically doesn't let it run as
> root, which is where I think the problem(s) started to originate.
> However, I am kinda stumped that it took more than 13 years to get to
> this bug. :)
>
> b) Markus (an implicit co-maintainer of tomcat* in Debian) said that
> the approach to fix the same, whilst being Ubuntu-specific, doesn't
> make sense to him. So since I am not very well-versed with
> src:tomcat*, I am confused about what we should do here then.
>
> What do y'all think? I think I am convinced that if a) is true, then
> this will indeed be a delta which we'll have to maintain forever (or
> at least until we re-sync rsyslog :)). What do you think should be the
> correct path? If there's someone who has more experience with the
> package, can they take a look?

AIUI, it's a deliberate decision for Ubuntu to ship rsyslog by default
and that it is configured to not run as root as a delta against Debian.
So I expect the default position to be that we should try to maintain
that, unless there's some reason it no longer makes sense.

Therefore, I think what we need to do is fix the tomcat* packaging to
correctly work with that. Hopefully we can find a way that makes sense
regardless of whether rsyslog runs as root or not. Then this should be
acceptable to Debian too, and we wouldn't need a delta in the tomcat*
packaging. Maybe this isn't possible, but as far as I can tell, this
hasn't been ruled out. All I saw in the Debian bug was the Debian
maintainer declining one specific proposed solution. But maybe a general
solution acceptable to both configurations of rsyslog can be found? This
is where I'd look next.

HTH,

Robie