Python 3 only for 16.04

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 7 19:23:51 UTC 2015

On 07.11.2015 12:21, Andres Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> I was wondering how much of this is actually affecting server? Looking at
> the wiki/spreadsheet, all of the packages are Desktop related, where are
> there's no specifics for server.

Please note that we originally planned to do this for the *last* LTS, however
priorities did shift a bit.  The approach that both Barry and me too with the
desktop images is to install an image, and then trying to remove
libpython2.7-minimal and see what else gets removed.  It's this analysis which
lets you find outstanding issues.

> That being said, MAAS, for example, has
> dependencies that don't even support python3 upstream, as well as other
> dependencies that will require attention from the packaging perspective.

Good. So you already know for some things what is missing.  Please file
appropriate bug reports, or tag existing ones with the `python3' tag.

> The MAAS team has already started doing some works towards being fully
> python3 compatible, although, however, it might be the case that we won't
> make it for xenial.

Sounds great!  I do like this more than the situation around discontinued or
non-responsible projects.

Matthias