Python 3 only for 16.04

Andres Rodriguez andreserl at ubuntu-pe.org
Sat Nov 7 11:21:56 UTC 2015

Hi Barry,

I was wondering how much of this is actually affecting server? Looking at
the wiki/spreadsheet, all of the packages are Desktop related, where are
there's no specifics for server. That being said, MAAS, for example, has
dependencies that don't even support python3 upstream, as well as other
dependencies that will require attention from the packaging perspective.

The MAAS team has already started doing some works towards being fully
python3 compatible, although, however, it might be the case that we won't
make it for xenial.

Also, CC'ing Jon Grimm to maybe help shed some light form the server
perspective.

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> In today's UOS session on dropping Python 2 from the default
> installs/seeds/images, we captured a bunch of work items.  For those of
> you on
> the session, please look at both the wiki and blueprint linked below, and
> make
> any additions or corrections you might find to my note taking.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-x-python3-only
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python/FoundationsXPythonVersions
>
> You might also want to subscribe to the wiki page.  Of course, we welcome
> any
> help in this important LTS goal, so please get in touch.
>
> Thanks,
> Barry

Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)
Ubuntu Server Developer