Follow Up from "Let's Discuss Interim Releases"

Ernst Sjöstrand ernstp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 20:58:37 UTC 2013

Having only LTS and "the rolling release", ie. precise and raring for
example, would cut down on the number of distributions any maintainer of a
3:rd party repository would need to support.
Right now if you have a PPA you need to maintain it for precise and quantal
and raring and then ssssss etc.
Let's say you put some really nice packages in your quantal PPA, but then
forget to update it for a while. It's such a waste that they're now "only"
available for the previous interim release, and not the current interim
release that everyone who's running interim releases will upgrade to anyway.
So my vote is for Rolling Releases!

Another way to handle this issue would be to have monthly releases, but
give them all the same distribution name, ie. raring. Since the old ones
wouldn't be supported I think that would make sense anyway and could be
pretty nice too.

Regards
//Ernst

PS. I like the BTRFS idea!