Security Support - Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 16:49:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 05:54:32AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Loïc Minier [2013-02-28 18:27 +0100]:
> > New series are super expensive to create, need coordination in a bunch
> > of places etc. and it means we're using the release dist upgrade
> > mechanisms rather than updating packages.
>
> It wouldn't need to be a full series in the Launchpad sense; we could
> use a pocket, which is much more lightweight.

Using existing ones is lightweight.  Creating entirely new ones is even
more heavyweight than creating new series, and very scary; their
semantics are hardcoded in a variety of ad-hoc ways all over the LP
codebase.

> E. g. "raring" would take the role of "monthly" while the raring-daily
> pocket would take the role of "rolling release"; this could even be
> raring-updates, we don't use this pocket right now and it's already
> there.

We have discussed using raring-updates, indeed.  Reconfigure
proposed-migration to copy into -updates, then bulk-copy to the release
pocket once a month just in time to prepare the monthly image release.

While I think monthly image releases make sense, I don't personally like
the notion of monthly updates at all; I think they're pretty artificial
and it would be better to do an excellent job of the rolling release
rather than dividing our attention between two similar things, and there
are some awkward chicken-and-egg implementation problems relating to how
monthly image releases are prepared.  But if we have to do them then the
above is the obvious sensible way to do it.