Security Support - Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 04:54:32 UTC 2013

Loïc Minier [2013-02-28 18:27 +0100]:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > So if the "last monthly" is supposed to actually be a kind of a
> > release, instead of just a blessed daily installation image, this
> > would mean that there would be a new series each month?
>
> New series are super expensive to create, need coordination in a bunch
> of places etc. and it means we're using the release dist upgrade
> mechanisms rather than updating packages.

It wouldn't need to be a full series in the Launchpad sense; we could
use a pocket, which is much more lightweight. E. g. "raring" would
take the role of "monthly" while the raring-daily pocket would take
the role of "rolling release"; this could even be raring-updates, we
don't use this pocket right now and it's already there.

But it would be using the "dist-upgrade" mode of update-manager either
way, of course.

> At the very least it should be very easy to switch between using the
> monthly and going to the rolling release; software-properties UI for
> instance, or perhaps also a command-line tool.

Yeah, this would merely mean to enable or disable the pocket which
provides the delta between "last monthly" and "daily".

Martin