This missing kernel headers on our latest stable release madness...

Alberto Milone alberto.milone at canonical.com
Thu Feb 28 22:53:55 UTC 2013

On 22/02/13 04:24, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> I've been absolutely flooded with informal reports over a period of
> several months now of 12.10 being still broken with regards to
> proprietary drivers.
>
> Reports like this are typical, especially after the influx of steam users:
> "Installed ubuntu + proprietary amd drivers, got no unity at 800x600 on
> next reboot and uninstalled."
>
> The proximate cause is a combination of
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068341
> and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1070427
>

> But more worrisome is that this appears to be something we still haven't
> fixed for 12.10, even if the fix is a hackish ugly workaround such as
> forcing the install of the headers-generic pacakge in the additional
> drivers tool.
>

> I'm not sure what the underlying fix should be, but it is making me
> question if there's some sort of larger process issue here because we've
> managed to drop this on the floor for so long.

After a discussing the best approach with infinity and cyphermox, I
worked around the issue in Raring first (in January) and opened the
following bug report about Precise (it's in -proposed, waiting to be
tested):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/1123107

I didn't know about the bug in ubiquity in 12.10, otherwise I would have
backported the fix from Raring shortly after doing it in Precise. I have
completed my tests on the backport for 12.10 today and I will upload the
code tomorrow.

Sorry it took so long.

Cheers,

--