Nexus7 Now running 13.04

Cláudio Sampaio patola at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 07:07:13 UTC 2012

Thanks! I just reflashed mine. Got a few bumps in the way:

- This time the ubuntu-nexus7-installer did not ask for my model (8, 16 or
32 GB). Is that correct?

- The ubuntu-nexus7-installer downloaded the raring images, but in the end
said the MD5 (or SHA, I don't remember) check did not match. I think it
"forgot" to overwrite the strings from the last installation (quantal).
After I erased the UbuntuNexus7 directory and relaunched the installer, it
worked.

- When booting with the OEM installer running, in the part where it asks
your name and the hostname, all fields were greyed out, and it was
impossible to proceed. I had to turn it off and on again and this time I
used an USB keyboard+mouse. It asked an extra question for configuring my
keyboard and the name and hostname menu was not greyed out this time, so I
was able to proceed.

- Core dump support still seems to be disabled in the kernel, which makes
it quite difficulty to debug and/or try to fix things or open bug reports:

patola at nexus7:~$ ulimit -c unlimited
patola at nexus7:~$ ulimit -c
unlimited
patola at nexus7:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
core
patola at nexus7:~$ ./coredump
Segmentation fault
patola at nexus7:~$ ls -la core*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 patola patola 8391 Dez  8 04:59 coredump
-rw-rw-r-- 1 patola patola   79 Dez  8 04:59 coredump.c
patola at nexus7:~$

And speaking of bug reports, what is the correct way to do them? Opening
for raring ringtail on architecture ARM?
Also, besides the wiki and this list it seems we do not have a dedicated
space do Ubuntu on ARM discussion. Is it possible for Canonical to create a
separate distribution list? I also have Ubuntu running on other ARM devices
- two CuBoxes, one UG802 and I just ordered the Minix Neo X5 to install
Ubuntu on. Can we generate bug reports for these devices too, or they are
considered too experimental for the time being?

And last but not least, I see the audio bug (it would only work after
suspend cycle) was fixed, congrats. :) The soft keyboard though is still
appearing when it should not. Shouldn't it listen to USB events and make
itself automatically inactive when an USB keyboard is plugged in?

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Sean Feole <sean.feole at canonical.com> wrote:

>  Hey All,
>
> I thought it would be appropriate to send a quick note out for all you
> Nexus7 users that may have missed todays ubuntu meeting on Freenode.
>
> This week we announced that the 13.04<http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-preinstalled/current/>build is available for download. New features include:
>
> Added the oem installer, so no more preinstalled images!! Users can select
> their desired Language / Time Zone and Username
>
> The ubuntu-installer-nexus7 was recently updated to rev 1.7 , this new
> version now flashes the 13.04 daily builds
> For those of you that may not have the installer, you can go grab it @
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-nexus7/+archive/ubuntu-nexus7-installer<https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-nexus7/+archive/ubuntu-nexus7-installer>
>
> If some of you want to dist-upgrade from 12.10 -> 13.04 then you may hit
> some known issues.
>
> Please refer to the following bugs:
>
> http://pad.lv/1087295
> http://pad.lv/1087335
>
> These are the only bugs I found when dist-upgrading. We are urging
> everyone to re-flash if you don't want to deal with the workarounds.
>
> Serial Debug is a new feature that was recently added for 13.04, to enable
> and use, simply plug the usb cable into the Nexus7, connect to your
> computer and via a terminal type:
>
>    - "screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200"
>
> This should drop you into a login prompt. To kill, issue "ctrl-a k"
>
>  Refer to the wiki for more info @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/
>
> Enjoy!
> -Sean

Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio