Reviews/Manpower needed (was: Clearing the queues)

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 7 23:49:05 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 28.11.2012, 17:32 +0100 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'd like to lobby for a change on how we look at code reviews. The
> introduction of the patch pilots was great and again I'd like to thank
> the Bazaar team for planting the seeds for this. We have reviewers in
> #ubuntu-devel who can take questions from contributors and we are more
> active in terms of guiding fixes to being ready to land.
>
> Still we can't seem to get the queue under control. We are up at 91
> requests right now. For the remainder of the week and next one I want us
> to get down to 0.

The queue is down to 29 items and only four days are left to reach the
goal of an empty queue. Thanks to all the developers who processed some
of the items.

>  How we are going to do this? By all helping out.

If you are a Ubuntu developer (with or without upload rights) and
haven't looked at the queue, please do so and pick one item! It would be
enough if every developer reviews just one item to get them all
reviewed.

Feel free to ping me on IRC if you have reviewed an item, but have no
upload rights.

>  If
> you work for Canonical or not, if you have upload rights for a specific
> package or not, please help out. There are so many requests in the queue
> which can be easily dealt with and everyone with upload rights should
> know, how to reject a request or help forward it upstream if that's more
> appropriate. You all know how to find somebody who can help make a final
> decision on a request.
>
> Of course some of you might wonder "Why should I care?". It's simple:
> others did code reviews for you too. You all understand that code
> reviews are the primary way how we teach about conventions, how we build
> our web of trust and get new contributors to help out with Ubuntu more
> actively. Try to see every minute you spend on sponsoring as an action
> which multiplies. Even in cases where it doesn't do achieve that, you
> make the world a better place.
>
> I'd love to hear opinions and ideas to improve things, but I'd love us
> to get down to 0 and have alarm bells going off whenever we cross a
> threshold of 25.

There is probably no easy solution, because sponsoring needs manpower.
Having a reminder email if we pass a threshold of 25 would be a good
idea to raise the awareness.

According to the stats, we get around 10 sponsor requests per day.
Assuming we have an empty queue, we will hit the threshold after three
days if no-one looks at the queue.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer