Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Doug McMahon mc631man at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:19:01 UTC 2012

On 08/29/2012 03:29 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:18:36PM -0400, Doug McMahon wrote:
>> On 08/27/2012 05:50 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
>>> Do any of you see reasons for not making this change, and dropping the
>>> alternate CDs?  Are there shortcomings to the proposed fallback solutions
>>> that we haven't identified here?
>> Purely from a user/tester perspective a current reason to not remove
>> in beta1 is currently for many or most users the live image is
>> completely unusable. No live session or install is possible due to
>> total video degradation. (quite similar to the
>> lightdm/greeter/nvidia issue in 12.04 dev.
> The purpose of the alternate CD is to install an Ubuntu desktop.  If the
> desktop is not usable for you, then what purpose does it serve to use the
> alternate CD instead of the desktop CD?  You're then only testing the
> alternate installer itself, which we want to discontinue anyway.  So it
> would be better to get rid of it to save testers from spending time doing
> such testing!
Never said anything about not being able to run 12.10, it actually runs
fine here. Just can not use any live image after 08/17 due to booting to
a corrupted screen

>> The one exception seen here is when the hdd is devoid of any
>> Ubuntu/grub/lightdm installs, only then is any recent image viable.
>> That though is not a typical scenario for most.
>> Maybe this is a well known issue & expected to be resolved, if not
>> then removing the alt. installer will prevent many from installing
>> the beta or thereabouts if not fixed in the near future.
> I don't know if this issue is known to anyone else, but it's not known to
> me.  Can you provide a bug number to a report of this issue?

Here's one I just filed though likely worthless as is, filed from my
current install.
To note - the nomodeset option does not help.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1043518

Did manage to retrieve most of  the logs so maybe the bug report can be
improved though if only affecting a small number hardware then doesn't
particularly matter. (give the report a day or 2 & we'll see..