Documentation for netboot [was Re: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10]

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 04:54:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at ubuntu.com> wrote:
[...]
> I would just say that, at least the last time I tried to do a netboot, it
> wasn't easy.  The documentation was difficult to find, somewhat out of date,
> and didn't describe exactly what and where to download the necessary bits and
> pieces.
>
> It's been a little while so I don't remember the details, but maybe part of
> the task of dropping the alt CDs should include reviewing the available
> documentation for netboot and mini ISO for up-to-dated-ness.

Yes, absolutely.

I played with this a bit, and it's actually not too difficult to do
from just any Ubuntu desktop, provided you have the ISO image for what
you want to provide. This is one place where having dnsmasq installed
on all desktops is really useful ;)

I'll take a look at the docs and at least add the few commands I came
up with to setup a netboot server, it's a matter of three or four
commands, and IIRC no extra packages to install from a brand new
desktop install.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93