Documentation for netboot [was Re: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10]

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Tue Aug 28 14:34:35 UTC 2012

Cool - what I use right now is pretty much

https://s3hh.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/simple-netboot-setup/

It's not as short and sweet as what I hope you'll end up with :)  but once
it's setup (as it is for me on 2 or 3 laptops) I just get a new mini iso

(
################################
serge at amd1:~$ cat bin/getminiiso
#!/bin/sh

release=$1
f=${release}-mini.iso
if [ -f $f ]; then
	echo "$f exists"
fi

wget -O $f http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/${release}/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
)

mount that to /mnt, rsync it to /var/lib/tftpboot/$release, copy the preseed
file back into there, and now the other laptop can just boot+install from it.

-serge

Quoting Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (mathieu.tl at gmail.com):