Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Aigars Mahinovs aigarius at debian.org
Thu Aug 30 12:43:47 UTC 2012

On 28 August 2012 00:50, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> As part of ongoing efforts to reduce the number of images we ship for
> Ubuntu, and to make the desktop image more useful in a variety of scenarios,
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs has been hard at work in quantal adding support for LVM,
> cryptsetup, and RAID to ubiquity.
>
> The good news is that this means today we already have support in ubiquity
> for cryptsetup and LVM in the guided partitioner, with manual partitioning
> support soon to follow.  The somewhat bad news is that we will not have
> support for RAID setup in ubiquity this cycle.

I objected to this before (as a person maintaining desktop Linux
policy in a large corporate deployment, that mandates full-disk
encryption), and now I can say that with the implementation of
cryptsetup support in ubiquity my concerns are fully addressed and I
no longer have any objections to dropping the alternate CD.

This is great news :)

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius at debian.org
 | .''`.    Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)            |
 | : :' :   Latvian Open Source Assoc. (http://www.laka.lv)     |
 | `. `'    Linux Administration and Free Software Consulting   |
 |   `-                                 (http://www.aiteki.com) |