Renaming the Packaging Guide

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Nov 30 12:37:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:42:15PM +0200, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Hi Daniel (2011.11.25_12:23:48_+0200)
> > I think it might be helpful to rename the Packaging Guide to something a
> > bit more clear, like Ubuntu Platform Development Guide or Ubuntu
> > Platform Guide or something along those lines.
>
> My get response to this is that I don't like the word "Platform". It
> makes it sound really big and dull, and says nothing about what to
> expect in it.

Fair point.  'Platform' is a bit jargonny.

> But that's not what it is. This is a guide about how to package things,
> work on packaging, work with our packaging branches, and understand some
> of our processes. Those are all necessary components for fixing bugs and
> making changes in Ubuntu.
>
> So, to me it's an Ubuntu Development Guide.

I like this, but 'Development' is kind of a broad word.  I might think
'Ubuntu Development Guide' is about developing apps for Ubuntu, and
would be disappointed to see it covering mainly platform packaging, for
example.

> On the developer.u.c website right now, the packaging guide is hiding
> under Tools, which is the last place I'd expect to find it. From the 6
> categories on the left, I'd probably most expect to find it under
> the Platform section. But I still don't consider a Platform Guide to be
> a particularly good name for it. I think it exudes boredom and says
> little.

Still, need some term to differentiate Ubuntu app development from
platform development.

What about 'Ubuntu OS Development Guide'?
Or even 'Ubuntu OS Contributors Guide'?

Bryce