DMB: Proposal for a different review process

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 3 20:34:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Chase Douglas
> <chase.douglas at canonical.com> wrote:
>> I don't think the DMB process is an important piece of community
>> socialization at all. I doubt many people pay attention to it if they
>> don't have a specific need to. There are much better and more important
>> social pieces of Ubuntu. I just want to make this piece as painless as
>> possible.
>
> I can think of one case where seeing the social interactions between
> an applicant and board members in a meeting *should* have put up big
> red flags around that applicant. Apparently they weren't big enough,
> but he's gone now, and you can probably guess who I mean. Those red
> flags, if they were being noticed, would have been the usefully
> "social" part of the meeting.

Perhaps.  But as you say, this person is "gone now".  So there are
ways of dealing with mistakes.  There are bad uploads to Ubuntu.
Those are caught, fixed, replaced, expunged, etc.  We all strive to
make as few mistakes as possible, but there's a process for rectifying
them.  Even membership endowments.

Ubuntu membership isn't exactly a seat on the US Supreme Court,
although it seems that we put some people through a Congressional
confirmation process, Clarence Thomas-style...

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Core Developer