brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 23:56:01 BST 2010

Looking at old Blueprints, I saw one for font management from 2006. [1] It
reminded me that Akkana Peck was not long ago complaining in #ubuntu-women
about the font manager situation (no way to tell apps not to show fonts for
languages she doesn't speak, no way to categorise, etc) in Ubuntu.  She ended
up writing an app called Fontasia[2] that handles these use-cases nicely.
It's a small PyGTK app, and I told her I'd package it for her after she makes
the UI tweaks she mentions in link 2 (which I think she did a few days ago).

Perhaps time to revisit that old spec and include such an app?

[1] https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/font-management
[2] http://shallowsky.com/blog/programming/fontasia-03.html

--
Mackenzie Morgan