slowness of syncing process

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 23 21:00:37 GMT 2010

Am Dienstag, den 23.03.2010, 21:47 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> Hi,
>
> I've filed a number of sync requests lately, and am a bit worried by the
> time it takes for them to be processed (~ 1 week in most cases).  I
> didn't have anything super-urgent to sync to Ubuntu, but syncing later
> means:
> - increased delays for transitions we might want to pick up from
>   Debian (especially for those that require several steps)
> - less testing in Ubuntu for those packages
> - developers getting discouraged and not syncing useful fixes just
>   because the process is taking too long
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to improve the process? The syncing process
> starts to smell like the Debian NEW queue (in the past) to me ;)

Seconded (except that the Debian NEW queue delay is greater than the
sync delay).

Why do we need that process? People that can upload a modified package X
should be able to sync package X from Debian, shouldn't they? Shouldn't
we have a script for doing a sync?

Would something like this work:

dget -u http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/${DIR}/${PACKAGE}/${PACKAGE}_${VERSION}.dsc
cd ${PACKAGE}-${UPSTREAM_VERSION}
dpkg-genchanges -S -DDistribution=${DISTRIBUTION} > ../${PACKAGE}_${VERSION}_source.changes
cd ..
debsign ${PACKAGE}_${VERSION}_source.changes

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)