Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting minutes, 2010-01-19

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Jan 19 18:48:33 GMT 2010

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/01/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 19 January, 2010|20101901 Meeting Agenda]]

=== Outstanding actions from last meeting ===
amitk to meet with keybuk on automated boot tests
  * Noting to add, continuing this to the next meeting.

=== Lucid Release Status: Bugs (Release Meeting Bugs / RC Milestoned Bugs / Release Targeted Bugs ===
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Lucid|Release Meeting Bugs (1 bug, 3 blueprints)]]

[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|Alpha 3 Milestoned Bugs (29 bugs)]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|3 linux kernel bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-fsl-imx51/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|2 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-ec2/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|0 linux-ec2 bug]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-mvl-dove/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=21445|2 linux-mvl-dove bugs]]

[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs|Release Targeted Bugs (97 bugs)]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux|8 linux kernel bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-fsl-imx51|3 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-ec2|1 linux-ec2 bug]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/linux-mvl-dove|2 linux-mvl-dove bug]]

=== Lucid Release Status: Milestoned Features ===
[[https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+milestone/ubuntu-10.04|Milestoned Features]]
  * [[https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-lucid-new-kernel-on-lts|1 blueprint]]

=== Lucid Release Status: Bugs with patches attached ===
In collaboration with the community team, it was thought that bugs with patches
attached would be a good target for issues which we could likely fix quickly
and therefore close.  It was requested we add this info to our weekly meeting.
[[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on|119 bugs with patches]]
http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-bug-handling (ogasawara) ===
Going to work on completing some of ogasawara's work items this week.  For ex
detect staging drivers. We will also be getting our arsenal scripts into shape
and running more regularly.

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-review-of-ubuntu-delta (apw) ===
Nothing new to report.

=== Blueprints: kerne-lucid-kernel-config-review (apw) ===
We are going to review whether we should have all sub-systems builtin rather
than as modules now that module probing is faster.  As a specific example we
have just pulled out bluetooth as it will shortly be included in compat-wireless.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 105,41        30%
=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-kms (sconklin) ===
Lots of work on i915 leading to us switching i915.powersave=0 by default as we
are seeing nasty twitching and blanking issues, as well as some suspend hangs.

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-suspend-resume (manjo) ===
Nothing new to report there

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-apparmor-development (jjohansen) ===
Upstream AppArmor update incoming today, just cleaning up some commit messages.
The kernel side of policy optimizations is done, should have user side dfa
minimization in by the end of the week.  If there is time the table packing
part of optimization can be done for alpha3.
Fixed regression Bug #507069
  * Launchpad bug 507069 in linux "aa-status is wrong for unconfined processes" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/507069
Debugging dfa optimization. dfa optimization isn't tweeked yet but is giving about 40% size savings and 50% speedup.

=== Blueprints: kernel-lucid-boot-performance (apw, csurbhi) ===
We have regressed some since we gained plymouth in the initramfs. Not sure if
that is its final resting place yet, need to confirm with keybuk as to plan
going forward

=== Other Release Tasks: Lucid Audio Support (bjf) ===
Nothing new to report here.

=== Other Release Tasks: Lucid Better Power Mgt (amitk) ===
Nothing new to report here.

=== Other Release Tasks: EC2 Lucid Kernel Status (jjohansen) ===
jjohansen is finishing an update to EC2 toadya and will include the missing
patches directory.

Be aware a bunch of work items have appeared out of the woodwork.  It seems that
we were losing some foreign items in the burndown charts.  I will be reviewing
those once the new charts are up and running correctly and will try and summarise
those which appear new.  We are just uploading a kernel update to 2.6.32.4 which
also includes a bunch of patches from the mailing list.

=== Security & bugfix kernels - Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others (smb) ===
  * Dapper:     2.6.15-55.81 (security)
  * Hardy:      2.6.24-26.64 (security)
    * LBM:       2.6.24-26.35 (proposed)[40]  0/ 1 verifications done
    * LUM:       2.6.24-26.44 (proposed)[40]  0/ 1 verifications done
  * Intrepid:   2.6.27-16.44 (security)
  * Jaunty:     2.6.28-17.58 (security)
  * Karmic:     2.6.31-18.55 (proposed)[11]  4/12 verifications done
    * LBM:       2.6.31-18-20 (proposed)[11]  0/ 2 verifications done

There is work going on for a security update on the kernel and on updating
the Karmic kernel to 2.6.31.12(final).
We are now also get close to the cutoff date for Karmic SRU patches to the
kernel. If there are upstream patches anybody wants to get SRU'ed into Karmic,
make sure to send them to the kernel-team list before Feb-12.

=== Incoming Bugs: Regressions (ogasawara) ===
Current regression stats (broken down by release):
==== regression-potential (up 5) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-potential+lucid&field.tags_combinator=ALL|31 lucid bugs]]

==== regression-update (up 2) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+karmic&field.tags_combinator=ALL|9 karmic bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+jaunty&field.tags_combinator=ALL|5 jaunty bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+intrepid&field.tags_combinator=ALL|2 intrepid bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-update+hardy&field.tags_combinator=ALL|1 hardy bug]]

==== regression-release (up 2) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+karmic&field.tags_combinator=ALL|60 karmic bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+jaunty&field.tags_combinator=ALL|22 jaunty bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+intrepid&field.tags_combinator=ALL|12 intrepid bugs]]
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-release+hardy&field.tags_combinator=ALL|4 hardy bugs]]

==== regression-proposed (no change) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.tag=regression-proposed+karmic&field.tags_combinator=ALL|1 karmic bug]]

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report (ogasawara) ===
Just a gentle reminder if you have a few spare cycles today:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/BugDay/20100119
http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/kernel-bugday/20100119.html

=== Open Discussion or Questions ===
The entire kernel team extends a warm welcome to Jeremy Foshee (JFo) our new
Kernel Bug Triager.

--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com