Software-center not accessible - Please avoid webkit!

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 19:30:17 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 04:27 -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> Ubuntu developers need to know not to use webkit.  Any application
> based on webkit cannot be accessed by Orca in any meaningful way.  The
> Ubuntu Software Center, as a result, is 100% useless for the blind.
> Software-center should be modified to used gecko.  Until that happens,
> the blind will need to keep using gnome-app-install... except that
> it's broken in Lucid.  Please stop making such mistakes, as it makes
> Ubuntu less and less useful for the blind over time.

I suppose that should be raised as a defect against Ubuntu Software
Center. To test it, is it just a case of starting Ubuntu Softare Center,
then starting Orca and verifying what comes out (or rather what doesn't
come out)?

> If there is any way to help Ubuntu developers test accessibility
> during development, let me know.  I believe the blind would be happy
> to help.  There are basic things, like avoiding webkit and Qt, which
> everyone needs to know about.

Developing with accessibility in mind is not rocket science once you
know what you're looking for (I've done it for web sites and I'm far
from a guru on the subject) but the problem of most developers is to be
aware of it, to know what to look for and to know what basic tests to
do. Jono Bacon is organising a Ubuntu Opportunistic Developer Week [1]
next week for people who want to start developing simple apps for
Ubuntu. A session on "developing for accessibility" would be a great
addition to the week. Do you know of anybody who would have the skills
and the time and be willing to do such a session?

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpportunisticDeveloperWeek

Bruno