Default reviewer for Ubuntu merge proposals?

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 11 00:24:00 GMT 2010

James Westby wrote:
>>   * we should set a contact address for ~ubuntu-dev so that direct members
>>     don't get all merge proposal email. I would suggest somehow routing this
>>     to ubuntu-reviews at .
>
> I want to make this change now, but I don't want to use ~ubuntu-dev
> until it has a contact address.
>
> ubuntu-reviews@ is currently set as the contact address of
> ~ubuntu-core-dev, and so I can't reuse it.
>
> I see 3 options:
>
>  * Create a new mailing list that has essentially the same purpose as
>    ubuntu-reviews at .
>
>  * Move ubuntu-reviews@ to ~ubuntu-dev, but then this leaves
>    ~ubuntu-core-dev open to getting direct mails again on e.g. bug
>    subscriptions and code review if referenced directly. If we do this
>    we can set another contact address for ~ubuntu-core-dev, but I'm not
>    sure what that would be.
>
>  * Request an alias for the mailing list to work around LP's
>    restriction that we have one account per address.
>
> None are especially palatable, but the last seems to acheive what we
> want at the risk of being obtuse and working around a (probably well
> reasoned) Launchpad restriction.
>
> Any support for option 3?

    I'll support option 3 as being the least bad (but far from good).
Having two separate mailing lists with the same goal adds confusion in
an area that already has too much, and sending direct mail to all
core-devs tends to annoy those we count on most to ensure that we can
continue to use our computers.  Working around launchpad
implementation details is minor in comparison.

--
Emmet HIKORY