proposed universe demotion: virt-manager (or, a request for active maintenance)

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 1 09:59:27 GMT 2010

Mario Limonciello wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:41, Dustin Kirkland <kirkland at ubuntu.com
> <mailto:kirkland at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Martin Pitt
>     <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com <mailto:martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>     >>  a) the Ubuntu Desktop Team provides active maintenance of
>     virt-manager, or
>     >>  b) virt-manager is demoted to Universe for Lucid.
>     >
>     > If someone in the Desktop team feels very attached to virt-manager,
>     > taking up maintenance would be nice, but speaking for my own,
>     it's so
>     > much easier to use the CLI.. Also, it's not anywhere near the
>     > stated goals of the desktop team, so it would be a kind of hobby
>     > project only.
>
>     Understood, and it's python-gtk GUI nature puts it a bit out of the
>     scope of the server team too (since Ubuntu Servers do not run X),
>     leaving it in this under-attended gray area.
>
> Servers might not be running X themselves OOTB, but users and admins
> are still X forwarding apps that can be offered with a graphical
> interface to their local desktops, are they not?
>
> --
> Mario Limonciello
> superm1 at gmail.com <mailto:superm1 at gmail.com>
> Sent from Austin, TX, United States
Hi Mario,

In this particular instance, it would be odd to run this application
over forwarded X as it has great support for running locally and
connecting to a server via ssh or X.509.  However the interesting point
about this application is that it's only purpose is to manage a
particular server stack.  The last time I tried this application I found
it had potential, but was as yet underdeveloped.  This in itself might
suggest that it doesn't belong in main.

An interesting issue that this discussion has raised is the question of
who should maintain desktop applications that only exist for server
use.  I would imagine that the Desktop team has a greater GTK skillset,
but low interest or lack of infrastructure that most Server team
developers would have.  Another such example is eBox, which is a
graphical tool for managing a server, although in this instance the user
interface is served from the server via http, making it the scope of the
server team.  Nobody would use virt-manager, if they weren't using it to
admin a server.

I agree that virt-manager doesn't belong in main, but the question of
who looks after applications of this nature still needs satisfying.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker