Improving UDS

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Dec 3 02:59:21 GMT 2010

On 3 December 2010 06:36, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today I had a discussion with some of the other organizers of UDS, and
> we have been reviewing some of the feedback from the survey and we have
> some areas in which we would like to improve.
>
> I wanted to highlight these areas and ask for your feedback to help us
> make better choices.
>
> These areas are:
>
>      * Tracks - some of the feedback received was that the tracks at
>        the last UDS were confusing and complex. What did you folks
>        think of the tracks? One suggestion is that we ditch tracks and
>        instead just have 'tags' for sessions (e.g. you add a session
>        and tag it from a limited set of tags). Do you think this would
>        be a better approach?

I do think tags would be better.  I think some of the tracks become a
bit "Dept of Misc" and trying to fit everything into N tidy
equal-sized buckets just isn't going to work.  Better, in my opinion,
to have some tags with many sessions and some with just a few.

For me, and I think for some others, understanding and tracking the
schedule is one of the most annoying parts of UDS.  (Or one of the few
annoying parts, I should say.)  It is not legible on the foyer screens
(some names are truncated to meaninglessness); it changes
unpredictably; the colors don't really correlate with categories I
care about.  People miss sessions they ought to be at because the
schedule changed.

Probably most of that is just somebody getting tuits to improve the
schedule display software, but perhaps using tags would facilitate
that.

--
Martin