Improving UDS

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Dec 3 09:00:19 GMT 2010

Jono Bacon wrote:
> These areas are:
>
>       * Tracks - some of the feedback received was that the tracks at
>         the last UDS were confusing and complex. What did you folks
>         think of the tracks? One suggestion is that we ditch tracks and
>         instead just have 'tags' for sessions (e.g. you add a session
>         and tag it from a limited set of tags). Do you think this would
>         be a better approach?

I like the idea of tagging. With products (server, desktop...), themes
(community, cloud...) and horizontal subjects (security, qa...), that
could definitely help people find sessions that are interesting to them.

Tracks were useful to somehow neatly split the effort of scheduling
between track leads. It might not be as easy to schedule with tagged
sessions.

>       * Lower Cloud Attendance - we noticed that the Cloud track was
>         less interesting to folks at UDS. The cloud is a key area in
>         which Ubuntu can compete - what do you think we can do to make
>         that content more interesting?

If you compare with Maverick UDS (where we had a Cloud+Server track), in
Orlando the Ubuntu Server team had half their sessions in the "Cloud"
track, and half their sessions in the "Application selection" track (for
non-cloud-specific server stuff). That made a very busy Application
selection track, and a relatively calm Cloud track :)

I am not sure it was less interesting. One issue is that most of the
blueprints in that session came from the Canonical server team, so we
could say that the community has not yet picked up on the cloud trend
and adopted it. It is disrupting technology, so it will take some time.
Ahmed's tireless efforts in explaining cloud technology should pay in
the end.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu core developer || OpenStack release manager