Review: Syncing from testing a success?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 9 20:06:27 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:10:21PM +0200, Daniel Hahler wrote:

> Side note: "grab-merge" / merges.ubuntu.com should support both sources.
> "grab-merge" would default to either testing (more "stable"), the current
> source (unstable during development, testing afterwards => default needs to
> change/upload), or "unstable" (since you are grabbing a merge, it is more
> likely that it's from unstable - preferred and what is missing currently at
> all).

Why is it more likely that it's unstable?  It's more likely that packages
actively maintained in Ubuntu will want to follow Debian's "trunk" more
closely, but that doesn't account for all packages in Ubuntu that are
merges; for many packages, I think merges from testing address our needs and
carry less risk of regression.

At any rate, 'bzr merge-package' does support both testing and unstable even
if merges.u.c doesn't.