UEC/Eucalyptus installation test: 20090927.1

Daniel Nurmi nurmi at eucalyptus.com
Sun Sep 27 21:10:42 BST 2009

All,

I'm also going through the 09272009.1 iso install process today on two
dells.  I'll have a more full (probably a similar to those already reported)
summary later today PST.

Regarding the init scripts/ordering; I thought it might help to propose a
solution to the 'java services have to stop/start to be loaded' issue.
Currently, the init scripts maintain a small state file in
/var/run/eucalyptus/ws, which stores the names of the services that are
currently 'started'.  Each of the init scripts (cloud, walrus, sc) uses this
file to determine the correct parameters to send to the actual process
(/usr/sbin/eucalyptus-cloud).  The parameters of interest are
'--disable-cloud', '--disable-walrus' and '--disable-storage'.  Moreover, if
the process is already running, and the services is 'enabled' in
/var/run/eucalyptus/ws, then the script will do nothing, report that the
service is already running, and return 'success'.  All of this is to say, if
something were to write:

storage
walrus
cloud

into /var/run/eucalyptus/ws, then run 'start' on any of the three init
scripts, all three services will be started, and running 'start' on any of
the other scripts will return success and not stop/start the process.  For
example, if we put a small bit of shell in the cloud init script that
essentially says 'if /var/run/eucalyptus/ws doesn't exist, and we're doing a
start, then write all three services into the file and start', then the
cloud init script will actually start all of the services.  Then, the other
services upon start can just do their auto-registration bits.

I know this probably seems a bit convoluted, but I think it may help to
simplify the auto-registration process for now.  In any case, the ordering,
with auto-reg in the init scripts, should be:

eucalyptus-cloud
eucalyptus-walrus (requires that 'cloud' and 'walrus' is up in order to
complete walrus registration)
eucalyptus-sc (requires that 'cloud' and 'sc' is up in order to complete sc
registration)
eucalyptus-cc (requires that 'cloud' is up in order to complete cluster
registration, and that 'cc' is up to complete node registration)

Hope this helps!
Regards,
-Dan

--
Daniel Nurmi
Co-Founder, Engineer

130 Castilian Dr. | Goleta, CA | 93117
Office: 805-845-8000 | Cell: 805-259-5269
Email: nurmi at eucalyptus.com
www.eucalyptus.com