[ubuntu-x] -nvidia upgrade issues

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Nov 11 02:06:44 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 02:26:56PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> I've been looking into some problems people have been reporting
> upgrading to Karmic with -nvidia installed.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and assistance fixing the various
issues we've uncovered.  I've summarized the major findings after
analyzing recent nvidia bug reports here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Nvidia

In this thread and side discussions, several ideas have come to light
about how we could improve the packaging of -nvidia (and -fglrx) to make
the user experience smoother.  I've registered a blueprint for
discussion at UDS next week:

  https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-xorg-proprietary-drivers

Finally, I think one of the underlying reasons why this became such a
problem is that these drivers do not get adequate testing during
development.  In hopes that this lack of testing can be improved on,
I've drafted a couple test plans that could be used to guide testers:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/ProprietaryDrivers
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/Failsafe

The main reason testing is so poor on the proprietary drivers during
development is because we generally receive them only very late in our
development cycle.  Prior to that, they don't work, so testers are
forced to use only open source drivers.  By the time we do get the
updated proprietary drivers, the amount of time available is really
limited, and people are quite busy.  So I think this may be an area
where we just need more structured, routine testing and I hope the above
test plans are of use in achieving that.

Bryce