-nvidia upgrade issues

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 5 13:31:45 GMT 2009

Hi Martin:

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 03:43, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Mario Limonciello [2009-11-04 17:08 -0600]:
> > I see three potential improvements to Jockey for this scenario.
> >
> >    1. Have Jockey be able to work in an interactive frontend.  If the
> >    package install behavior is modified to query if the headers are yet
> >    available, then you can more nicely present this information to the
> user
>
> What do you mean by "interactive frontend"? For debconf you mean?
> I'm afraid that requires a rewrite of Jockey, since it's currently
> frontend <-> dbus <-> backend <-> python-apt, so the backend doesn't
> have X access. I'm afraid this isn't SRUable.

As i'm sure you are aware, there are other deficiencies with the way things
are done now
1) Not being able to represent whether something failed to install or
download
2) Not being able to ask to insert CD media if it's present there

As you said, this doesn't sound SRUable, but for Lucid perhaps the better
solution is to use python-aptdaemon.  It can certainly provide more of this
information more easily.

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com