Best practice for reporting bugs

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 30 09:14:02 BST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:36:12PM +0100, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Olá Scott e a todos.
>
> On Thursday 26 March 2009 10:24:40 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > It's hard enough to keep straight about bugs with Ubuntu packages
> > without getting other bugs based on different packages that aren't in
> > Ubuntu.
>
> Arent packages on PPAs meant to get the same treatment as packages on
> Archive?  Isnt Ubuntu _just_ another project on Launchpad, or is it
> getting special treatment?

As has already been explained, Launchpad doesn't support tracking bugs on
packages in PPAs.  There are many other differences between how Launchpad
handles PPAs (which are small scale repositories maintained by a team) and
Ubuntu (which is a complete distribution with thousands of packages, a
hierarchical government, etc.).

> Please Scott understand that I'm only trying to understand why shouldnt
> users be allowed to open bugs on PPAs applications with the same bug tool
> kit as those in Archive.

This isn't about being "allowed" or not.  It simply isn't possible yet.

--
 - mdz