Keyring password

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 11:51:19 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 01:43:36PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> to, 2009-03-26 kello 09:42 +0000, Matt Zimmerman kirjoitti:
> > I disagree; this is not a documentation issue.  The user should not need to
> > know or care about the keyring.  It should be essentially invisible to them,
> > just as it is in the normal (non-autologin) case.
>
> I weakly disagree: I have always felt uncomfortable with an invisible,
> nebulous entity on the desktop storing my passwords: I don't know where
> they are, how they're encrypted, and what passwords go there.

You are, however, an exceptional individual.  People who care about keyrings
will wonder "where was that stored?" and be able to find out.  People who
don't shouldn't be confronted with it.

In any case, the current behavior is inconsistent: you get a different (and
potentially confusing) result depending on whether you use automatic login:

 * If you don't use automatic login, the keyring is silently initialized
   using your login password

 * If you do use automatic login, no keyring is created at all, and the
   first time an application decides to use it, you're prompted to set a
   (new) password

--
 - mdz